Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Retro Christmas Cards & Tags (a quick tutorial)

One of my favorite techniques for creating Christmas cards (like the ones HERE) is to start with a sheet of 3x4 cut-outs, like this one from the Authentique Retro Christmas Collection.


This morning, I pulled out this great 12x12 sheet and cut it apart. I ended up choosing these seven pieces to create cards.


I thought these four would be perfect for gifts tags.


And I'm saving this last one to use as a journaling block on a scrapbook page.


I pulled seven card bases from my stash.


As you can see, just adhering these 3x4 pieces to the card bases would have made cute cards.


However, I like the look of layering, so I pulled several pieces of coordinating cardstock and patterned paper from my scrap basket.


Then it was simply a matter of cutting papers, chalking the edges, layering, and adhering


Here's a look before and after the layering together - see how those layers add extra charm and complete the cards.


For the gift tags, I cut a piece of red cardstock into tag bases, then added a few paper layers and ribbons/fibers so I can easily adhere or tie these to gifts.


Typically, I have all my Christmas cards created by this time of year. However, I only have about half the number I need right now! Luckily, I have another sheet of 3x4 cut-outs (from the Photo Play Luke 2 Collection) that I can use to create another quick batch of cards soon.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Addressed my Christmas cards Thanksgiving evening; will mail them when I get home. That's a bit earlier than usual. Love your tags!

Missus Wookie said...

I'm making tags with the children next month, figuring they can have fun sticking and gluing - then take the tags home to add to presents.

Layering (or even a bit of pen work) give such a lift to simple cards. I'm behind on where I like to be, I'll get there tho'.

Susanne said...

I was thinking of doing a similar thing to use up a bunch of old 12 x 12 Christmas paper. Yours turned out real cute.

Sian said...

They are so cute! This is the first year I've made different cards instead of a whole batch the same and it has been a lot of fun.