Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Friday, September 6, 2013

Washi Tape - It's Everywhere!

Have you noticed that washi tape is everywhere? And I don't just mean in scrapbooking! I've noticed it cropping up in lots of magazines lately, including DIY and home décor. One idea included using it for a kid's art project, allowing kids to create designs and sketches by placing washi tape on walls.

I took another of the ideas and added a little pizazz to my light switch cover.


Of course, adding it to scrapbook layouts and cards is my favorite use, and I'm having fun with a new technique that May Flaum shared in the Camp Scrap workshop. (The punched hearts on a layout I shared last month were created using this technique.)

Here's a little tutorial on creating these fun embellishments. First, place strips of washi tape on a piece of white cardstock, alternating the colors and designs.
 

Then simply use your punches to create unique and colorful embellishments.

I mounted my scalloped circles onto punched cardstock circles . . .
and then clustered a few of them together on a layout.
 
This is definitely a technique I'll be using often. How about you - have you tried anything new with washi tape lately?

9 comments:

Alison said...

What a great idea , Melissa....TFS!
Alison xx

Ellyn said...

great idea. I'm gonna do it. probably just make a bunch of embellishments & never use them, LOL you know me!

Debbie P said...

What fun ideas Melissa! Love the embellisments! tfs

Tammy said...

Love this idea! I have to admit that I haven't gotten too creative with my washi tape but it's time to think up some new ideas. I'll definitely give this idea a try! :)

Beverly said...

Love it, so simple and I would have never thought of it! TFS

Barbara Eads said...

I've made a note to try that technique, but haven't yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Karen said...

Both techniques are great ideas! I love Washi tape.

alexa said...

It is clear I really need to order some of this! That is such a neat idea ...

Becky said...

What a great idea! I shall definitely be doing this with some of my washi tape!