Saturday, May 4, 2013

Storytelling Sunday - I'll Miss You Honkin' Truck

I'm linking up with Sian today as part of this year's Storytelling Sunday, a fun blog event where she encourages us to tell our stories in words and photos. This year's theme is Pick Your Precious (although any story will do), so today I'm going to share with you about a vehicle that I truly loved.

If you've been around my blog for a couple of years, you may remember that I created a layout about my Ford Expedition called 140,000 Miles & Counting back in 2010. This past fall, we traded that wonderful vehicle in for a new Suburban. I loved the Expedition, but after 10 years and 160,000 plus miles we were ready for something new. When I cleaned out the file I kept on the Expedition, I pulled a few items and put in my Memorabilia File with the plan to scrapbook one final layout about it. Last week's challenge in the Library of Memories Community provided the perfect opportunity because we were encouraged to "create a page with memorabilia that we had diligently saved."

I created a two page layout. On the left page, I used the front of a brochure in the background, and on the right page, I created a pocket to hold other items I had saved - the original buyers order, a copy of the title, a registration renewal, an inspection report, a couple of bills, and the pages from the spiral notebook I kept in the glove box to record all maintenance and repairs.

Journaling reads: OH THE MILES WE’VE TRAVELED TOGETHER

My very first vehicle with an automatic transmission: a grown-up car, big enough that I would feel safe on the roads in Dallas, with plenty of room for lots of adventures. The first time I’ve ever given a vehicle a name – we dubbed you “Honkin’ Truck” because you were huge compared to the small cars we’d been driving. 

Over the years, you carried us to work, to school, to church, on errands, on vacations and weekend get-aways, on trips to visit family, to scrapbook stores and comic shops, to births and funerals and weddings and graduations and recitals . . . and always back home again. You’ve hauled family & friends, beds & TVs, groceries & Coca-Colas, bicycles & tricycles, sinks & toilets, presents & decorations, car seats and booster seats, suitcases & ice chests. You pulled the boat back and forth to the lake and even towed a U-Haul trailer all the way home from Ohio. We had to have the motors replaced in the driver’s seat and the window because you were well used and enjoyed.

For 10 years, 4 months and 6 days, we traveled together – 167,151 miles, across 19 states and through 1 border crossing. After 39 oil changes and 4 sets of tires, it’s time to say goodbye . . . 

I’ll miss you Honkin’ Truck!
Melissa – November 2012


I had other photos I wanted to include, so I added an 8x8 divided page that I'll put in between these two 12x12 pages in my album.


Journaling (on the tag) reads: The very first day, Robbie said, “We need to be careful about eating in this new car.” I laughed at the time & we both laugh now thinking about all the meals and snacks and drinks we’ve enjoyed (and occasionally spilt) in this vehicle through the years!

I'm really pleased to have this story scrapped and preserved in our 2012 album. Have you saved any memorabilia in a pocket page lately? Or added an extra page for additional photos?

27 comments:

Amy said...

It's so easy to take a car for granted when we rely on them so heavily - great layout Melissa!

Missus Wookie said...

What a fun set of photos and memories! I like the description of 'a grown up car' and that you've included the memorabilia.

Miriam said...

I really love your story today but I especially love that you kept and scraped about your truck. It's the kind of scrapping I love. I love the bit about being careful about eating in the new car, been there!

Sian said...

I love this story! It's funny how a much loved car becomes so much a part of the family - you have got me thinking about my very first car and all the adventures it saw me through. Great fun!

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Wow, a love story for sure--the details of your story and the many bits of memorabilia testify to how much that truck meant to you. Hopefully its replacement will eventually become just as precious.

Sheena said...

What a lovely story & layout about a treasured family member x

Jennie said...

Oh that is such a great story Melissa - and you have brought back many happy memeories of the only vehicle we ever named - our campervan! I love how you have all the memorabilia included in your pages - wonderful story. J x

Ellyn said...

you need to write a book. your stories always crack me up!

Elizabeth said...

Melissa, I loved your story about the honking truck! I felt the same way about my 11 year old Corolla when we finally traded in it on a new one last year. At least you now have a beautiful layout to keep records of the truck. Wish I had thought of that!

Ladkyis said...

This story has reminded me about our Jeep... oh that was a good car!
Thank you for sharing

Cheri said...

Great story about your honkin' truck Melissa! And OMG - my Storytelling Sunday post will be about carefully saved memorabilia ... if I can ever sit down and write it!

JO SOWERBY said...

My car went to the great scrapyard in the sky last December. She was the first car I had bought myself and I had had her for over ten years. It was sad to see her go,
Jo xxx

Alison said...

I love this, Melissa!...we do expect a lot from our cars, don't we?
Alison xx

Jennie Hart said...

Oh you told this so well, your journaling is brilliant, fun and light-hearted, but love for it shining through. I always fall for my cars and then pray they last, just lost my last one a couple of months ago and I scrapped the key too :)

Sandra said...

Oh how lovely and such fun layouts to go with those memories

Mitra Pratt said...

Very cool layouts and memories! I have a jeep that I am in love with and makes me happy to think about. It's funny how something metal can work it's way into your heart!

Ginger said...

What great memories Melissa! I would say my first vehicle was the most memorable and it was how I learned to drive stick shift. I can still remember my dad teaching me!

S said...

When you know exactly how many days you've enjoyed its company, then indeed it is part of the family. I suspect the new transport will be equally respected and revered.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the divided page especially! I did a storytelling sunday once on my first car (a 1963 Valiant station wagon).
Rinda

Barbara Eads said...

What a perfect way to save all the things you have in a file! I especially love how you incorporated the key. What memories you have preserved in such a great way. I love your pages. I also like how you used numbers to highlight information about your "honkin' truck!"

Becky said...

A great story - love that you have all that memorabilia and have been able to make such a great layout with it and do the additional page protectors too xx

jeanie g said...

Brilliant story and so well told too. Love the idea of adding another page of photos too!

alexa said...

I love the way you talked directly to your special truck ... A wonderful relationship you have shared!

Karen said...

I've done some gratitude pages about my car(s), but never a layout. Yours is great, and I love all the data you have about it.

Irene said...

Fabulous scrapbooking Melissa. The very best of storytelling - straight from the heart. How wonderful to have the journey photographed.

Gail said...

I love your story, especially this week. We just got rid of our car after 11 years and it's amazing the memories that brought back.

Lisa-Jane said...

Wow, so many memories in one vehicle! I hadn't thought about it from that angle before. I love using the split protectors too.