Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Friday, May 3, 2013

April 2013 Art Journal Page

The reason Ellyn and I are planning monthly Inspiration Days is to practice photography and find inspiration in the world around us. (Having fun hanging out with a friend is an added bonus . . . and then, of course, there's always the possibility of lunch . . but I digress.) So, during our outing at Dallas Blooms, I mentioned that I wanted to try sketching something from one of my photographs. Since I'm not very good at drawing, I knew it would need to be something simple. When I saw this small tree that wasn't blooming yet, I joked that I was sure I could draw it!

 
Of course, it's a little hard to see with all the background foliage, so I decided to use the Sketch feature in PhotoShop Elements to give me a better idea of how I might draw it.
 

Wow! After seeing the sketch, I was really glad I didn't say that I could draw the entire scene! However, it did pull out the little tree in the foreground that I wanted to try. Here's what I came up with.


It's not quite as good as Rinda's latest sketch, but it's not too bad for a first try. I decided to use this as the base for my April art journal page. I typed up my journaling in the same format as I've used on my other monthly art journal pages this year.




I completed the page with letter stamps to spell out the month, a group of trees stamped repeatedly in the background, and lightly colored in sky and land.


Who knows, I just might be brave enough to try sketching again soon!

5 comments:

Ellyn said...

very cool! I have some ideas about doing some doodle pages overlapping my photos? I need to get on that. Love this!

Sandra said...

Oh you must, this is really lovely. What a great idea to sketch your photos, it makes you really look at the details :)

Karen said...

Your sketch is truly wonderful, Melissa! No one would know it was your first try.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for the shout out! I think you did a great job. It really is all about practice. And I do like how you turned it into an art journal page.
Rinda

Missus Wookie said...

I think it is good for a first attempt so you definitely should have another go. I like how you're trying different things with these summary pages.