Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Precious Storytelling Sunday - My Mementos Jar
Back in June of last year, I enjoyed the Lift Me Up! workshop taught by Mou Saha at BPC and created a memory jar. The basic idea was to take a discarded glass jar and turn it into a memory capsule. I called my jar Melissa's Mementos, and I believe it will be the perfect start to my Pick Your Precious stories for 2013.
I chose an empty jar from the few I had on a shelf in the garage. I then put several mementos from my childhood & teenage years in the jar, along with a note about what each item is and where I got it. I decorated the top of the jar and added a tag. The items I chose for the jar had been stored in a box with other items in my closet, but now this Memory Jar sits on a shelf in my craft room where I can enjoy them & the memories the evoke.
The mementos in this jar have traveled with me for many years and remind me of snippets of my childhood & teenage years.
1. Red "M" - hung from the rear view mirror of my first car.
2. TJ pin - one of many spirit pins worn to football games.
3. Leo shell - can't remember where this came from but it always had a place on one of the shelves in my room.
4. Ten Commandments in pink ViewFinder - another item I've had so long I can't remember where it came from or not having it.
5. Indian headband & necklace - from visit to Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation.
6. Red Puppy Dog charm was from a necklace I had.
7. Ice Skater Pin from our trip to see the IceScapades.
Melissa June 2012