Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ten on the Tenth - How Do You . . .

In between challenges throughout Shimelle's Scrapbooking Weekend several weeks ago, she posted 10 questions for us to answer in the comments, so I thought I'd group those questions together and share my answers today (with a little more detail & a photo or two).

1. How do you store your thickers and other letter stickers? I have all my thickers/letter stickers together in one upright bin (no lid), sorted by color. This makes it easy for me to flip through them to find what I want to use on any given layout.


2. Where to you find inspiration? I often find inspiration when we are browsing at flea markets & antique shops. I get ideas for layouts and find little bits & pieces that I think will be perfect for a page & I snap photos of fun craft project ideas. We have a couple of flea markets/trade days that we visit each month, which keeps the inspiration flowing.


3. How do you use tape in your crafting projects? Honestly, I haven't used a lot of tape. I have a few rolls of kraft travel themed tape that I used in Robbie's Florida Trip Photo Album Scrapbook & I received some lace tape for a Christmas gift (maybe it's time to pull that out & use it!).

4. How do you deal with imperfect digital photos? In the past year I’ve used PSE to edit some photos, however if it’s a photo I want to scrap to record a memory I print it and use it anyway. Photos, like life, are not always perfect, so I just go with it (especially when there’s not another photo from that event/day/moment).

5. How did you start scrapbooking? My Mama started a scrapbook for me when I was born and sometime during elementary school I took over adding items to it, so really I've scrapbooked most of my life! In fact, I am working on a series of posts about my life as a scrapbooker.


6. How do you store your scraps & off-cuts? I sort my scraps by color & store in page protectors right beside the chair I sit in while I craft. I blogged about it here.

7. How do you make a scrapbooking page kit? I use page kits only when I'm cropping away from home which was not often until this year when I started planning more get-togethers with friends. I always start with my photos, then pull a couple of full sheets of cardstock or patterned paper that could be used for the background and matting. I add letter stickers and a few embellishments. Just like Shimelle: I err on the side of too much paper rather than not enough. I keep each kit in a page protector in a 12x12 file box. I take my scrap file with me as well as tools, flowers & brads, so I can add bits of other papers & handmade embellishments. I am currently in the process of creating some page kits for a crop coming up May 17-19 where I will meet several other BPC students for the first time in real lift.

8. How do you create a scrapbook page from start to finish?(Bonus points if your process includes supplies speaking to you!) Oh my goodness, are there times when supplies don't speak to us? LOL I pull my photos, choose a background paper & other coordinating papers, choose a design (sketch, scraplift, or my own thing), create journaling on a separate piece or decide to write right on the layout, then I arrange all these elements & begin pulling and adding embellishments.

9. How do you sort your scrapbooking papers? I sort my papers by color and store them in plastic drawers. For each color, I have solid cardstocks on the bottom, solid papers, then patterned papers from light (top of stack) to dark. When I'm ready to scrap, I pull out the color I want and thumb through the stack. I do have one small expandable file that holds my few themed papers, also.

10. Where do you scrapbook? I scrap most of the time in my office/craft room, sitting at my craft table. When I have friends over to crop, we scrap on the dining room table (with all the added leaves in it!).

[Be sure to check out more Ten Things post here.]

19 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love seeing your workspace. And your answers are so much fun.
rinda

Kirsty.a said...

Interesting to learn more about your scrapping process. TFS

helena said...

I so agree with you on number 4 and your craft space looks very inviting

Sandra said...

I could have cheered at number 4 :). I've so loved this post of yours, it's been a real joy

Jane said...

thanks for sharing this with us x

Tammy said...

Those denim chairs are just way too cute!!!

Sian said...

A really interesting read! Hurray to using photos anyway, I'm all for that. And I agree - supplies very rarely don't speak to me

Rebekah said...

Delightful little tour of the scrappy side of your life! :) I'm working on my list right now!

Rebekah said...

I don't see a link-up yet on Shimelle's blog!

Alison said...

Loved that little insight into your scrapping life Melissa!
Alison xx

Jimjams said...

What a great idea for 10 on the 10th - some similar answers to mine there!

S said...

Great post - I learned some new things about your and your craft and was reminded of things I already knew.

JulieJ said...

I missed the online crop - I was living this month's 10, so this is a nice way to catch up on the none crafting bits.

Julia said...

An interesting 10 things! I love seeing how others store their stash :)

Connie Mercer said...

what a great post~loved reading about your answers to 10 questions!!:):)

Nathalie said...

This was a brilliant idea, take Shimelle's questions and give us your answers!!! I wish I had thought of that one! :D

MonicaB said...

Great idea for Ten on 10. I'm in the process of reorganizing my stash, so this has been helpful.

Ginger said...

I liked reading your list here Melissa :) I agree with the photos - sometimes you do need to just go with it!

Tammy said...

Great list Melissa! I was sad to miss 10 Things this month but just had too much going on to get in on it. How fun that you have a BPC crop coming up to meet IRL. That is so awesome. I wish I could come. :)