Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mama & Daddy's Wedding - Storytelling Sunday

Today's story & layout were inspired by:
*this week's Library of Memories Community challenge to create a layout about our parents.
*my And The Two Became One layout that I decided to scraplift.
*Sian's Storytelling Sunday which encourages us to share our stories on the first Sunday of each month.

We have a large photo album filled with professional photos of my in-laws wedding in 1962, however when my parents married in 1966, there was simply a family member with a point and shoot camera who snapped a few photos to capture the moment. I remember growing up and seeing these old black & white photos in the photo album along with our other family memories. Several years ago, Mama pulled them out and created a scrapbook page by cutting frames in a paper & adhering the photos to the back of the page so the photos showed through. Here's the scan of that page, which along with one other photo scan is what I had to start with to create a layout for my own scrapbook.



While these are not the best photos from a technical point of view, I absolutely love them and how they capture my parent's wedding day. Back in the 1960s, it was rare for photographers to capture photos of the everyday events, so I especially like the photo of Mama curling her hair in preparation.


As far as I know, these are the only photos from that day. There was only a small number of attendees at the wedding: both my grandmothers, an uncle and a few of my parents' friends who threw rice on them as they exited the church. The friends then chased them down the highway as they drove off. One of my parents first stops was at the local skating rink where they had met five months earlier when Daddy skated up to Mama one day and said, "Don't I know you?" (But that's a story for another day!)

And while it would be over three years before I came along, I believe this is truly where my life story begins, with the two people God chose to give me life, nurture me, and "train me in the way I should go." (Proverbs 22:6)

21 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I love what you've done with these precious photos,Melissa....it's not how wonderful the photos are,it's the wonderful memory they preserve that's important.

Julie Kirk said...

Just dropping in from Sian's - Great photos - I'd love to see some more casual shots of my parents' wedding, they capture just that little bit extra don't they?

Julie :-)

humel said...

That's beautiful, Melissa :) The story and the layout, I mean!

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

What a wonderful selection of shots to have. I love seeing your updated take on your mama's scrapbook page.

Sian said...

What gorgeous photos! My parents were married in 1966 too and funnily enough they had a photographer, but we didn't 22 years later! We just have casual shots too and I love them that way. You have charmed me again today with your lovely post Melissa :)

Alison said...

What a lovely page you made Melissa..and how nice to hear the story!
Alison xx

Sabrina S. said...

Hi,
your LO did justice to the story and the pics.
Have a nice Sunday,
Cheers from France

Missus Wookie said...

What a lovely set of photos and stories - how blessed you are to have them both.

Beverly said...

Love the layout that you created, Melissa. I really wish there had been photos at my parents' wedding, Mama's daddy didn't attend, he sat on a log in the swamp and cried....but again, that is a story for a different day.

Cheri said...

The photo strip is definitely a great way to deal with less than stellar photos!

furrypig said...

love how you have used the photos to make that page really great. I am intrigued by lots of things you hint at in your story so I hope you share more about your parents

Karen said...

Lovely photos, Melissa. Even though we were married awhile later, we didn't have professional photos taken either. I've never scrapped out photos, but they are in a special wedding album. You're inspiring me to scan them and get them scrapped.

Amy said...

We did have professional shots either - and my Mum and Dad did! You've done a great job with these Melissa!

MonicaB said...

I love the small photos along the side. It's wonderful that you took the time to document these photos.

Karen said...

Beautiful photos, gorgeous layout and lovey story.

heart.hearth.home. said...

What a great way to treasure these photographs. I love the fact that you have one of your mum curling her hair. That's brilliant! Thank you for sharing.

Debbie P said...

How lovely is this! The layout is a perfect design to showcase the photos. You don't even notice that they may not be the best photos you could have, all together like this they look like a million bucks! Nice job!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the proverbs selection. I'm really lucky to have scans of all my parents' wedding pictures. I made myself a small album with them, but it's not completely finished. Thanks for the inspiration to do so.
rinda

Chipper said...

I love how you created such a beautiful page from those photos. My favourite wedding photos are often the candid ones. Our favourite wedding photo was taken by my mother in law :-)

Becky said...

This is a wonderful story and I love both the pages :)

S said...

Oh I loved your story. It's always nice to know more and more about our own roots. Thanks for sharing.