Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Washing Machine Said . . .

I am so excited to once again be participating in Sian's Storytelling Sunday where each month bloggers link up their stories, told in words or photos. My story today took place a few weeks after the Don't Take My Blessing story I shared in January.

Mama Anne picked me up early one Saturday morning, and we headed to Conn’s so I could pick out a washer & dryer. She and Daddy Dave wanted to help me out as I settled into the rent house in the fall of 2000. They had learned that I would have to do my laundry at Mama & Daddy’s - or even worse. . .go to a Laundromat! I, of course, tried to protest, but it was useless to argue with Mama Anne once she’d made her mind up about something. We picked out a Whirlpool washing machine with 8 different cycles and 5 speed combinations along with the matching Whirlpool dryer featuring 7 cycles, 4 temperatures. As we were leaving the store, Mama Anne looked at me and said, “When you hear the agitator making a swish-swish-swish sound during the wash cycle, if you listen carefully, you’ll hear it’s really saying WE LOVE YOU – WE LOVE YOU – WE LOVE YOU!”
 
When Robbie & I were making plans for me to move to Rockwall after our wedding in the winter of 2001, he commented that we could sell my washer & dryer since his was about the same age & there was no reason to move mine all the way from Southeast Texas. I immediately nixed that idea by informing him that
MY WASHING MACHINE SAID
WE LOVE YOU –WE LOVE YOU – WE LOVE YOU
every time I did laundry, and since his washing machine couldn’t “talk”, it would have to go! How could he argue with that? 

Eleven and a half years later, I’ve finally replaced those Whirlpool appliances, but I will forever be grateful for the gift Mama Anne & Daddy Dave gave me when they purchased them – the gift of love.

21 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a beautiful story!
Rinda

Ruth said...

Fantastic! I'll be listening out for my washer to talk!

Ladkyis said...

What a wonderful woman! Every time you closed that lid you would think of her, Marvellous!
Thank you for sharing

Scattychick said...

Awww what a lovely tale :) With 4 kids and a soldier hubby my machines get used os much they say "please give me a day off" instead lol :)

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely story,Melissa....I'll think of it every time mine is on!!!

Miriam said...

...and mine says 'where are you getting all this washing from? there's only three of you!!!" I really love this story, thanks so much for sharing it.

Sian said...

Melissa, this story has left me with a big smile on my face! It's so full of love and charm I think I'll be thinking about it all day. Especially as I can hear our machine going as I type. I don't think I'll hear that noise in the same way ever again. Thank you!

Mitra Pratt said...

VERY sweet!

Chipper said...

You made me smile and cry at the same time. Thank you :-)

Cheri said...

No way Robbie could win against a talking machine. What do you suppose mine is saying when it spills bleach all over the load AFTER the whites??? Ruined several items yesterday.

Mary B said...

that is a lovely story and yes I agree machines do indeed talk to you

JO SOWERBY said...

u see now i understand why cats and children r mesmerised by the washing machine..............they talk back to them in a language they understand,
jo xxx

Julie J said...

I was just off to empty mine - i'll listen carefully when the next load is on.

Ginger said...

That's a very lovely story Melissa :)How could Robbie resist?!!

debs14 said...

He certainly couldn't argue with that logic! I shall have to listen more carefully next time I have the washing machine on. I'm not convinced that mine loves me, it's rather ancient and I sometimes think it's about to say 'goodbye'!

Mel said...

He was probably a bit shocked!

Alison said...

Lovely story Melissa!
Alison xx

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

What a sweet story Melissa.

Karen said...

What a wonderful story! I don't think mine talks, but I'll have to listen more carefully.

furrypig said...

another truly lovely story Melissa, you are such a happy person reading your blog and seeing your smile always brightens my day

Jimjams said...

That is SO sweet Melissa - what a quality gift and a lovely way to make it extra special!