Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Using Invitations on Layouts

Do you ever wonder what to do with the invitation to an event once you've attended (and hopefully enjoyed) the event? Maybe it's a graduation or birthday party or wedding. Typically someone put a good amount of time and thought into the invitations or even handmade the them. I almost always save these pieces of memorabilia with my photos and use all or pieces of them on a layout about the event. Last week I shared two birthday layouts (here and here) where I used pieces of the invitation as my layout title. Today I have two more examples of layouts where I included the entire invitation, the first is a high school graduation and the second is a family get-together. 

(Once again, please excuse the smudged photos as I try to respect the wishes of family members & the privacy of people I don't know in group shots. I enjoy sharing my layouts and I think one of the reasons I keep passing over some of the photos in my storage binders is because I don't feel I can share the layout. This is my solution!)

This first layout is based on a sketch from the Double Take workshop. I modified the right page to include a pocket which holds the commencement program. The graduation invitation is on the left page, and I cut slits in the page protector so that it can be viewed without being removed.


I actually handmade the invitations for our Kick Off Christmas Brunch in 2008 and had saved one to use on this layout. I knew I wanted to use a lot of photos, so I didn't start with a sketch. I chose nine photos to crop down to 4"x4", then added a strip of 2" photos on the right and a strip for two 6" photos plus the invitation on the left.

Once again, I'll cut a slit in the page protector for the left side so that the invitation can be viewed once it is placed in our Days We Celebrate album.


I really like how easy it is to use the invitation as a title block and the fact that it provides much of the information about the event - time, date, place, etc. Have you used any invitations on your layouts lately?

9 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

I'm a real hoarder of this type of memorabilia....and often put invitations, tickets, menus etc on pages....love how you have incorporated the invitation.

Brenda Kay said...

Great layouts. It seems a lifetime ago since Nichole graduated. I especially like the way you incorporated so many photos in the Christmas layout.

Sian said...

I love how you use these things on your pages - I am a complete hoarder of them too - but I'm wary of sharing the ones I make too for the sane reason. It's still my favourite kind of scrapbooking

MonicaB said...

Wonderful layouts! I don't use this type of memorabilia on my layouts. I don't have a good way of keeping it so I usual just toss it. If it's something really special I will scan it into the computer.

humel said...

Love how you use memorabilia, and love how you cram on so many photos without your layouts looking cluttered :) And smudge away of it means we get to see more of your lovely work! xx

Alison said...

I try to remember to keep tickets etc, but often a LO is completed before I remember about it! I need to be as organised as you Melissa
Alison xx

Cheri said...

I have done this kind of page in the past and do love incorporating the memorabilia and even copying color schemes of a wedding, graduation, etc. Good job on these pages!

Karen said...

I don't think I've ever used an invitation on a page, but now I know for sure I will!

alexa said...

I don't think I've used an invitation, though programmes and tickets etc. feature - you're right about them holding lots of useful information. I really like your Christmassy Lo in particular - so much to look at, yet plenty of breathing room.