Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Do You Save Your Middles?

This morning I started a new layout with a red cardstock background and realized I really wanted a small border of light blue to frame the layout, so I pulled out another piece of cardstock and decided to "save the middle." This is a term I first learned in the BPC Dimensional Details workshop taught by Nic Howard last year. I just wanted a very thin border on my layout, so I cut an 11x11 piece out of the middle of the blue sheet. 


The trick here is lining the paper up correctly. I wanted 1/2" strip border strip, so I lined the paper up with the extended ruler at 11 1/2". Then I set the cutting blade down at the 1/2" mark and cut straight across to the 11 1/2" mark before picking it up. I turned the paper and repeated on each side.


 This left me with a 1/2" border square and an 11x11 sheet of the cardstock. I can use the new smaller piece of cardstock as a background on another layout or use it to mat some of the items on the current layout (like I did with the title block). This is an especially helpful technique when you only have one sheet of a colored cardstock or patterned paper and you want to stretch is as far as you can.


I used the outside border on a layout about my oldest niece's 18th birthday BBQ. I started with this sketch from Lisa Day. I really like the placement of photos and the stair stepped appearance of both sides of the photo block. My photos were different orientations, so I had to make a few adjustments. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I used the invitation for the party as my title block. (Please excuse all the blurry photos - some are not my family and a few were just not great ones of my family and I didn't want them to disown me. It was a very very HOT day which doesn't often bring out our best appearances!)

For embellishments I simply added a "celebrate" sticker over the corner of the bottom left photo to highlight one of the photos of my niece and two strips of a quote sticker underlined with ric rac. I love the simplicity of this layout and the fact that I was able to use 10 photos.


What about you - do you save the middles of your papers?

16 comments:

Jimjams said...

Yup - I save my middles a lot! I've always called it "gutting" though! I'll quite often gut a piece of card behind a piece of patterned paper to give me spare card for photo mats, journalling blocks or titles.

Recently a Promarker pen blobbed onto the edge of a 95% complete page so I trimmed two sides of the page to remove the blob and mounted it on complementary gutted card - job done!

helena said...

Yes, I stretch my paper as far as possible.

Fabulous layout - love the bold colours and a great way to use 10 photos without it feeling crowded

Sian said...

Yes, I do save my middles, though as Jemma says it's called "gutting" over here which is a horrible word I try not to say lol

LisaDay said...

Beautiful layout!!

Ellyn said...

Yay for ric rac! Back in my scrapping days, before fabric completely took over my life, I did save my middles

humel said...

Great layout, and great thrify use of your cardstock :) I don't 'gut' my cardstock as often as I should, I can be quite wasteful at times.... Laziness on my part!

humel said...

*thrifty

Sandra said...

I do on some but it does depend on the card stock

Alison said...

I have to admit to being a bit lazy when it comes to saving middles..I must try to improve! Love the colours of your LO!
Alison xx

S said...

I'm too impatient to take the extra time - maybe when I've whittled my paper stack down a bit further, I'll be more inclined to do so. Great red layout!

Rebekah said...

What a fabulous idea. Never thought about it!! Can't wait to try it out though.

cate said...

I love doing that - especially if I'm using patterned paper as a background, stretches the paper much further! great layout!

alexa said...

We call it 'gutting' a piece of card or paper over here. And yes, I do too. :) Your page is wonderfully vibrant!

Ginger said...

I love saving the middle and learned this in Nic`s class as well! It`s a great way to save some paper, especially when it`s a pattern you adore :)

Karen said...

I often save my middles, especially if it's patterned paper. Love the bright colors of your layout.

Amity Knight said...

I'm a paper saver and ESPECIALLY in this circumstance. A lot of my layouts have huge holes in the back.
great layouts. Love the bright colours. Thanks for sharing your work.