Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Denim Jacket

This year I've discovered the free monthly classes over at Two Peas in a Bucket, and the end of the month class is led by Shimelle. The class is called 4x6 Photo Love and will highlight techniques for using 4x6 photos on a layout; one photo in January, two photos in February, and so on until there are twelve photos in December. I really liked this month's layout featuring one photo and a loose string of embellishments crossing the page from the top right to the bottom left.

Shimelle featured some great pre-made round flowers on her layout, however I didn't have any large round accents. So, I decided to make my own using a scallop punch, two circle punches, patterned paper, buttons and ink. I layered the patterned papers, turned the edges up just slightly, inked the edges, and added a button for the center. Then I added other various size buttons and embellishments from my stash.



I also included a small piece of ephemera on this layout - did you see it? I have a box for cultural memorabilia that I started collecting during the LOM workshop last year. It's just a place to keep little tidbits from our daily lives that might be of use on a layout. I haven't actually used anything out of the box, until this layout. When I was writing my journaling, I remembered that after my last trip to Coldwater Creek, I had put some of the price tags in my cultural memorabilia box. All the price tags at Coldwater Creek are on a Kraft type paper, so I simply cut the store's name off one of the tags and included it with the word stickers I used in my loose embellishment line.

This was a fun layout to create and I'm looking forward to each month's 4x6 Photo Love class.

7 comments:

Sue, a.k.a. midwestgirl said...

I thought Shimelle's class was great and am really looking forward to it each month! Love the embellishments you made!

Sian said...

I think I need to go and check out the class now that I've seen this! I love the fresh colour combination you have used and your embellishments of course.

Karen said...

This is great. Shimelle's link to the class is still sitting in my inbox. I think a trip to 2Peas is in order for today.

Tammy said...

I've been checking out all the classes at 2 Peas, but somehow I missed this one. I'm going to go see it. I love your page and love that you included the memorabilia. It gets easier to remember the more you add stuff to your layouts. Your embellishments are pretty! :)

Photographing Mom said...

Cute layout and cute jacket, too!!!
I need to visit 2Peas today!

cate said...

great layout and colour combination!

humel said...

It looks great, Melissa :-) I've really enjoyed looking through all the posts I've missed recently - sorry I don't have time to comment on them all xx