Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sketches in Thyme Guest Designer Layout

This week I am a guest designer for the Sketches in Thyme sketch challenge Thursday Takes #28 based on this sketch by Jana Eubank.


I started with a double sided patterned paper from Pink Paislee's worker bee collection. I really liked both sides of this paper, and since I only had one sheet, I cut a rectangle out of the middle and matted it on a piece of Core'dinations cardstock to use as part of my base. I inked the edges of all my papers with brown chalk ink and added a strip of another patterned paper to complete the base of the layout.


I built on this base by adding a red strip of patterned paper and a yellow zigzag border piece to complement the colors in my photo. Instead of florishes as in the sketch, I decided to stamp balloons on the background using my Stamp Craft Balloon Bouquet stamp and Close to My Heart's Desert Sand ink.


The next step was preparing my photo block. I cut this shape from a piece of patterned paper, however since it was white it didn't go well with my background papers.


So, I used Tim Holtz's Old Paper Distress Ink and gave it more of a distressed look, then adhered it to my layout.




Once the photo block was added to the layout, I simply needed to add a title and a few embellishments to complete it. I cut the It's Your Day title and the number 43 using the Cricut George & Basic Shapes cartridge and added two ribbon bows to round out the layout.

I hope you'll join me this week over at Sketches in Thyme. I'd love to see what you do with this sketch.

3 comments:

Sian said...

So nicely done Melissa

Debbie P said...

Melissa, congrats on being a guest designer. If I can find the time I may try to do this sketch. Your layout is fantastic! I absolutely love the product your used. Great photo of the hubby!

Rachel B said...

Lovely layout Melissa :)