Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How I Store My Scraps

I enjoy using scraps of cardstock and patterned paper on my layouts. For several years, I had 8 1/2" x 11" page protectors that I slipped scraps into, sorted by color. I kept the page protectors in the file cabinet drawer with my 8 1/2" x 11" papers. However, as I evolved into creating more 12x12 layouts and often had scraps that were 12" long, this system did not work well. About a year ago, I read about the system I now use. The idea came from the book Scrapbooking Solutions put out by Creating Keepsakes. There was a photo and these simple directions:

Put a colored sheet of cardstock in a page protector. Place solid-colored paper scraps in front of the cardstock and patterned-paper scraps in back. Store the scraps in an acrylic container.

I use 12x12 page protectors and store them in a basket underneath my craft table, right next to my chair. I can simply flip through them and pull out the color I want anytime.

My Scrap Basket

Easy to flip through and pull out the page protector of the color I want.
 Here are a few of my page protectors. I have a 12x12 sheet of cardstock in each protector, then in the front I have all my solid colored scraps and behind the sheet of cardstock, I have my scraps of patterned paper. If a paper has more than one color, I choose the color that is most prevalent or just choose one of the colors if it is a multi-colored paper. I do not have a scrap file for multi-colored papers. You might notice also that I include themed papers here as well.

Red solid scraps.

Red patterned scraps.

Blue solid scraps.

Blue patterned scraps.

Since I have set my scraps up in this system, I am constantly using them. It is the perfect system for me, however I know there are numerous ideas of how to store scraps. Here's a link to a recent article at Practical Scrappers that shows several ways to store scraps: Scraps - Storage Solutions.

How about you? Do you save and use your scraps? How do you store them?

5 comments:

Rachel B said...

I love this idea! I'm forever searching through my scraps! Then I forget what I have! I keep patterned papers stored by colour in a folder but I love this idea of combining the two. Thanks for sharing :)

S said...

I sort mine in folders that sit in a bin in ROYBIV order plus white, black and assorted (for those patterns I can't decide where to put). I can easily flip through them too. I like the idea of having the solids on one side and patterns on the other. It seems there is always a way to perfect every system.

Joanne said...

I love this idea - I have been looking for a better way, thanks for sharing. I found your blog from 'Snaps & Snippets'. It's great how organized you both are!

Lizzie said...

Hi! I was looking through your November 2010 posts, for the "Blog Friendship" party post. And I found this!
Such a clever system - I hope you don't mind, but I have posted a link to it on my blog - in the "Clever Stuff" section in the right-hand sidebar.

Cate Brickell said...

Now I read it again, I think I remember it was a good idea then! I'll have to ponder how I could make it work for me, thanks for linking got it again for me!