Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Embossing Chipboard Letters

I had my first attempt at embossing this week. I embossed chipboard letters using red embossing powder, Smooch Spritz to wet the chipbard, and my new two-speed embossing tool. I think the letters came out ok, not great, but good enough to use on my layout. However, I made a mess (and had a lot of fun)! First, I forgot to use my pre-creased paper when I poured the embossing powder onto my letter, so I had to try to dump the excess powder back in the jar without the nice helpful crease. Some of it landed on my craft mat. Then I forgot to hold the letter still when I first turned on the embossing tool and the letter starting blowing across the table. Got that under control then realized I didn't get the letter wet enough before putting the powder on, so there were several areas not covered. I'm so sorry I didn't video the whole thing for y'all because it would have truly given you something to smile (or laugh) about! :>)

Here's my layout inspired by sketch #128 from Creative Scrappers. The challenge was to use a 12" photo, however since my printer only prints letter size, I used an 11" photo. I pulled the rest of the supplies from my stash.



I'm really looking forward to embossing other embellishments . . . as soon as I get my table cleaned off!

6 comments:

Ellyn said...

cute! I used to love embossing in my scrapbook days. Now I am so hooked on fabric I rarely touch my paper supplies. Thanks for your comments on my quilting (it won't let me reply!) & sorry I missed bookclub, but I really enjoyed my class!

Liberty :) said...

they look great! look like AC Thickers to me!

S said...

Good job. Embossing can be fun, even if messy. I actually use those plastic trays made to catch your embossing powder and pour it through a hole at one end; Stampin Up sells them and I've seen them in stores too. If you do a lot of embossing you'll save a lot of powder because the powder doesn't stick to plastic as much as the paper. And a Swiffer is great at getting the loose powder off your desk. Have fun building on your new skill.

Sue said...

Great! I love embossing too. A pair of tweezers are handy so you don't burn your fingers with small stuff. You can ink over a few times if you miss areas and re emboss. Warning! Very addictive ;)

Karen said...

They look great, and I'll bet there are a lot of us who have similar tales!

Ginger said...

I remember doing those very same things when I first started embossing! LOL! It does get easier! Great job on the technique, and where did you ever find a two speed embosser?