Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Healthy Living Weekly Post: My Healthy Living Notebook

This purple one-inch three ring binder is my Healthy Living Notebook. I picked this particular binder simply because it was available, something I had laying around the house that wasn't currently being used. I thought it didn't really go with my "healthy living" theme and that I might eventually purchase something different, however I love having this binder from SFA (Stephen F. Austin State University) because it reminds me of a goal that I accomplished - acquiring my master's degree. If I can accomplish a huge goal like that, then surely I can accomplish my goal of establishing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Inside the binder are several tabs: Motivation, Aerobics, Flexibility/Stretching, Stability, Strength Training, Toning, Fun & Adventure, and Sports.


When I read a magazine article or internet post that motivates me to continue my pursuit of a healthy lifestyle, I clip or print it and put it in the book behind the motivation tab. The exercise tabs have directions for various exercises, most of which I copied from the two books I mentioned in last week's post: Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam E. Nelson Ph.D. and The Good Life by Ruth McGinnis. I've also added in exercises that I've clipped from magazines and a printout from Lisa Cohen's Wellness Journey workshop at BPC. Here's a peek behind a few of the tabs.

Behind the Aerobics Tab


Behind the Strength Training Tab


Behind the Fun & Adventure Tab

Behind the Strength Training Tab



After the tabs I have a set of page protectors that hold my printouts from the Wellness Journey Workshop, one for each week. I printed Lisa's audio message transcript and the handout for the week and slipped them into these page protectors.


I also have a few scrappy pages that I created during the Wellness Journey Workshop, like this page with The Wellness Pledge.


I love having this book available to thumb through when I need a little motivation or want to try new exercises or activities. How about you, how do you keep yourself motivated to live a healthy lifestyle?

I've done really well keeping up with my exercise this week and started tracking everything I eat or drink this past Monday. Look for an update on my October goals next week!

2 comments:

humel said...

Wow, I'm really impressed by your organisation skills - and your motivation! The folder is beautiful :-)

I get motivated whenever my habits start to slip back and I start to notice the effects - less energy, etc - that helps me get started with it again.

Cheri said...

Melissa - I LOVE this idea! I did Lisa's Wellness Journey class back in the Spring of '09 and made a cute little 6x6 album. But it really doesn't work for holding much information. So I'm scraplifting the idea!

My tabs will be a bit different than yours - I'm including tabs for food charts and exercise charts that I'll print off MFP as I complete the log-ins and a tab for Physical Therapy and other things particular to my situation. This will work so much better than the random pieces of paper I have laying around right now! Will also make it easier for me to take to physical therapy and personal training sessions!

I see you are now tracking food - did you join MFP? If so, I'd love to friend you there and follow your progress!