Friday, October 29, 2010

The Color Red

The Color! Or is it Colour? workshop at Big Picture Classes is underway! This will be my second Nic Howard class, and I am looking forward to creating many colorful layouts as well as learning more about color in my scrapbooking over the next six weeks. Each week we will create a two-page spread for a 6x6 Color mini-album, and we will receive step-by-step instructions for a larger Build-It layout. There's usually some bonus material as well. For example, this week there's a technique video on embossing and a printable color wheel handout.

We are focusing on the color RED for week one. Here's my two 6x6 pages. Nic has provided a printable for the right hand page, and I have decided to choose a photo of me and Robbie wearing that color for each of the left hand pages.


For the Build It Layout, I decided to do a layout about our home state, Texas. This past summer as we traveled I took some photos that I thought were distinctly Texas: the Texas flag flying below the American flag, cows in a field, an oil well, and some red, white & blue chairs in a Dairy Queen in some small town near the Panhandle. I also went back and pulled a photo from several years ago when we visited the Alamo and another of a field of bluebonnets. I started with a base of white cardstock and added two strips of Reminisce Passports Collection Texas patterned paper.I used a couple of old Stickopotamus stickers, some foam letters, and Spare Parts flowers with gem brads from Stampin' Up. The thin ribbon with stars is some very old RIBN-TAYP that I purchased from an elderly seamstress at a garage sale.

I actually used more red in my layout than Nic recommended since she likes to use red as an accent color and to add an extra "pop" to a page. I am pleased with the way this layout looks and enjoyed having a red day today!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

You are quick! I love both of your pages. I'll be working on my red pages this weekend.

Ellyn said...

cool! Red is my favorite color

scrapchick said...

Looks like a fun class! Nic has a nice style! Cute layouts!

Sian said...

I love that photo at the end of you and your page :) I'm struggling for time this week and hope to get caught up with my red pages soon.

Donna said...

How many classes are you doing at the same time? You are my queen of organisation! Red is my favourtie colour so I am loving your layouts :-)

humel said...

Great pages, and love that you coordinated your outfit too! I'm saving the Colour prompts for now, but I will come back to them once Shimelle's class is finished :-)