Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Holidays in Hand

Last November, Jessica Sprague offered a free online class called Holidays in Hand. I signed up for the class thinking since it was free and I would have forever access to the materials, I didn't necessarily have to work through it in 2009. But once the class materials came out, I knew I wanted to create the page-a-day album for the month of December 2009. The class itself ran from November 16-23 and was designed to help us prepare for the month-long project by printing prompt cards for each day and preparing materials for our album.

I printed the prompt cards, which were designed to "prompt" us what to write about, photograph, do and create each day. The "do" and "create" blanks were left empty and I filled them in with items to do or create for most days. I created a mini book with the prompt cards so I could keep it with me throughout the month.


Jessica provided digital templates for the scrapbook album pages, however at that time I had not created any digital pages and decided to create my album with paper and supplies that I had on hand. I decided on an 8 1/2 x 11 page that would fit in a white 3-ring binder.  First, I created a sketch of how I would lay out the pages.

Then I actually pre-scrapped all 32 pages - one for each day of December plus a title page.


I used cardstock that I had on hand (white, red, green, tan) and patterned paper that had Happy Holidays printed on it. I also used the digital paper from the Holidays in Hand kit - it is the striped paper which I printed out on white cardstock.

I actually completed the first 9 pages of the album back in December. Then the whole project kinda got pushed to my "to-do-later" pile . . . and a few weeks ago I decided it was time to finish it! I had to complete the journaling blocks, print photos, crop the prompt cards, and add all those items plus sticker embellishments to the last 23 pages. This was a little more difficult than I had anticipated because as the month went on, I didn't always keep up with the prompt cards and didn't have photos for each day. However, I looked back through my calendar and added in what I could on the "do" and "create" blanks, checked off the items I had completed each day, and just left the others blank. I am happy to report that I completed the album earlier today and I'm very pleased with the result. Here are some of the pages:





And finally, I created a page to slip into the front pocket of the 3-ring binder. And now I have another completed theme album to add to my Library of Memories.


Now that this project is complete, I'm looking forward to planning for this year's holiday season. Yes, I know it's hard to think about Christmas when the temperatures are reaching 100 degrees each day (for some of us!). However, I'm a member of a Yahoo group (Christmas_Clutter_Countdown) that begins Christmas planning next week, focusing on decluttering and deep cleaning our homes as we prepare for a stress-free holiday season. I'm looking forward to getting started.

1 comment:

Sue, a.k.a. midwestgirl said...

What a great project! Lots of fun to look at Christmas in August!