Some interesting things I learned or was reminded of as I read:
- The US acquired Alaska from Russia.
- Alaska didn't become a state until 1959 - it was the 49th state.
- Alaska contains the "only U.S. land ever to be occupied by a foreign government during war" as the Attu and Kiska Islands were occupied by the Japanese during World War II.
- It is light all day and night during the summer (I did remember this :>).
- I know that Alaska is the largest state, however I didn't realize that it ranked 49th in population. (These books are about ten years old, so I checked on the intenet and it has moved up to 47th in rank for population.)
- Alaska covers several climatic and geographical regions.