Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Type+Writer Digital Layouts

I have finally completed all the assignments for the Type+Writer class offered at JessicaSprague.com. The class actually ended on April 4, and if I had kept up with each day's assignment I would have been finished then too. That is one of the joys of "forever access" to the online courses I'm taking. I continue to have access to all the class materials - forever. Which is great because life happens along the way and more important activities than scrapbooking take precedence.

For each assignment, there was one day consisting of two writing exercises, a free-write and a journaling assignment. Those days were led by Liv E, and the journal prompts, grammar tips, and motivational tone were very well done. The layout days were led by Jessica and included the templates, links to font downloads, and video tutorials for various new typography techniques in PhotoShop Elements. I completed the last four layouts and have ordered 12x12 prints to add to my LOM category albums. Each of these pages was created with a page template from Jessica (she included embellishments from Katie Pertiet and Kellie Mize at DesignerDigitals and Trish Jones at ScrapbookGraphics on some of the templates), papers and embellishments mostly from the Type+Writer kit that came with the class, and numerous downloaded fonts. I'm going to try to list the materials for each layout below - this is something new for me, but I am trying to get into the habit, who knows, maybe someday I'll be teaching scrapbooking online!

This first layout used Jessica's Snapshot template and two fonts from dafont.com (Vt Portable Remington & You Are Loved). I titled my layout "Get Organized" - this assignment was to focus on the everyday activities of our lives, so I scrapped about organizing a closet. Not the most glamorous subject, yet it is something that happens often at our house because I enjoy organizing. I love the look of this layout. We used Wordle.com to create the background word art using our own journaling.


The second layout uses Jessica's Dialogue template and several downloaded fonts (Jane Austen and Parma Petit from Dafont.com and Ornament Scrolls from moorstation.com). This layout shares one of our favorite stories about my niece and I'm excited to finally get it down on paper. I wasn't sure what photos I would pair with it. I flipped through my Family & Friends category box and found these photos. The look on her face in the large photo perfectly represents her smug expression on the day of this story.


This next layout uses Jessica's Hey Little template and three dafont.com fonts (Marcelle, Leicester, Happy Daze). This was a difficult journaling assignment, writing a letter to my younger self. I put it off for several days because I just couldn't decide what to say, but finally took the plunge and came up with this layout.


The last layout is created with Jessica's This is the Story template and three downloaded fonts (Ma Sexy & Seeing Stars from Dafont.com, Designer Mixed from House of Lime). The objective here was to tell a story in third person about two people and an object with meaning. It's a different type of journaling than most of my layouts, yet I really like the way it conveys the story of my desk.


I admit that I enjoyed this class immensely. The journaling was at times challenging but has helped recharge my writing battery. The typography techniques in PhotoShop Elements were challenging as well (this was an intermediate level class while I am really still a beginner), however Jessica's video tutorials walked me right through each technique step-by-step (I am thankful for the pause button on these tutorials!).

No comments: