Welcome! I'm Melissa Gross, a dynamic and interactive teacher and speaker called to lead and encourage Christian women in their walk with the Lord through classes, workshops and retreats incorporating Bible study, devotionals, illustrated Bible journaling, paper crafting and mixed media projects that merge faith and art bringing God’s Word to life so you can find renewed excitement to dive into the Word, use your creative gifts, and apply the Truth as you draw closer to the Lord and serve Him in your everyday life. This site is where I share my everyday adventures, Bible Journaling pages, scrapbook layouts, handmade cards, and other crafty projects, as well as information on my upcoming workshops and events. I also post photos, ramble about books I'm reading, stuff I'm organizing, and other FUN bits & pieces of my wonderful life.

Monday, April 26, 2010

My 12th Birthday Photo Album Scrapbook

I love the concept of a Photo Album Scrapbook (PAS) - basically a photo album that is decorated (or not) and used to showcase a group of photos, just like a theme album. Some of the slots can be used for journal boxes and embellishments can be added throughout. They are very simple to create and a great way to "scrap" a large group of photos. I have created several PASs over the last several years, but I didn't really use this "fancy" name for them until I read about them in Stacy Julian's PhotoFreedom book. This week's lesson in the Library of Memories workshop challenged us to create a PAS with a group of photos from our storage binders.

I decided to create a mini-PAS using the 44 Polaroid photos from my 12th birthday. It really isn't a huge group of photos, however Polaroids are such a unique size and shape that I knew a traditional layout was out of the question. I really wanted to use all the photos, even though my photography skills weren't that great and the lighting wasn't always right. I purchased this inexpensive photo album at Hobby Lobby to create my Photo Album Scrapbook.

For my 12th birthday, Grandma had given me a Polaroid camera AND an overnight trip to Galveston with a day spent at SeaArama MarineWorld (which has since closed down). I was amazed when I sorted these photos and realized that I must have used 5 cartridges of film on this one trip alone - the cost of the Polaroid film has always been high! [Truth be told, I was Grandma's favorite. :>)] Each photo was labeled in my 12-year-old handwriting, and I had even saved a few pieces of memorabilia from the trip - the map and schedule from SeaArama, a matchbook from the hotel, our ticket stubs, and the souvenir bracelet Grandma bought me. I sorted all these items, then mounted each of the photos to a 4x6 piece of black cardstock that would fit into each sleeve of the photo album.



This left four open slots in the album. I used one for a title page, two for the memorabilia, and the last one for a dedication page. On the title page, I included a piece of the page from my old deteriorating scrapbook where I had described why I had kept those pieces of memorabilia.




I then took the charm off the bracelet and attached it to the outside of the album along the strap and printed a label for the front cover window.

The whole project took less than two hours, and I have preserved this fun memory in a cute album!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is such a neat idea! I love that you combined polaroids, journaling and some memorabilia in a brag book … and you are so lucky to have those tokens from your 12th birthday. I sure wish I did! :)

Chidkid said...

What a simple yet effective idea! Good job

Jimjams said...

Brilliant little album - so much more fun than a standard photo book!

Tina Campbell said...

Such a cute idea and a wonderful way to show off the birthday